[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Your opinion about SOTM US

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Mar 10 07:29:48 UTC 2015

I'm still kicking up chunks of stuff GNIS and TIGER pulled in that are
woefully inaccurate. Just did some cursory Lincoln County, NV work after my
father got lost out there while motorcycling with his wife (fortunately for
him, he carries survival basics and knows how to survive in the Great Basin
and how to recover when lost out there, so having bad information was just
super annoying, not necessarily life-threatening in this case).  Seems GNIS
and/or TIGER pulled in some POIs for hamlets that either never existed in
the first place, or were abandoned 50+ years ago and are long gone now.
Whenever I'm out there or I have a reason to edit out there, I do try to
make sure it's at least minimally connected and tagged more or less
correctly (though the geometry might not be super-accurate since we're
talking about having to fix dozens of miles at a time in open-nothing) so
it can at least be used to route back to civilization.

This is definitely a recurring problem for almost every map in the Mojave
and Great Basin deserts and pretty much a matter of life and death for
those visiting a pretty decent chunk of northern Arizona, New Mexico, parts
of southern California, western Utah, southeastern Oregon and just Nevada
in general.  Given that the US Department of the Interior's been trying to
get mapmakers to fix it since the USGS is horribly out of date in the
region, we could probably garner a lot of goodwill by fixing the map so it
doesn't kill people...