[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Your opinion about SOTM US

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Mar 10 17:55:49 UTC 2015

Russ Nelson writes:
>For OSM in the US? Finding and fixing the badly-digitized TIGER data.

I agree.  Interstates are "largely there," state highways are
"getting there," rail is "underway now," and a lot of "lesser"
streets and highways are cleaned up.   But there remain substantial
TIGER deserts, and much TIGER data are pretty darn noisy:  downright
inaccurate (but we do seem to agree, better than nothing).

Who remembers Operation Cowboy?!  We are now kind of doing something
like that with rail (in a very loose way with
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_States_railways),
but TIGER data in general just need serious and sustained attention
until consensus emerges that they don't.  That seems a long way off
so let's do our best to roll up our sleeves and identify how and
where this might happen.

SteveA
California