[Talk-us] Elevation in local units

Harald Kliems kliems at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 02:18:19 UTC 2015

Hi Steve:
one tag where units are in common use is maxspeed. The default is km/h but
you can also use mph or knots. I don't see why this wouldn't be feasible
for the ele tag as well.

If you look at taginfo, you can also see that ft is used quite a bit --
unfortunately often in an inconsistent way, e.g. ele=3643_ft or 3643ft.
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/ele#values (you have to search for ft
in the search box).

 Harald.