[Talk-us] Elevation in local units

Steve Friedl steve at unixwiz.net
Wed Mar 25 02:55:24 UTC 2015

I noticed that about other items, but the key:ele wiki page defines this clearly: it’s in meters, and this suggests to me that others using 3643_ft or 3643ft are doing it wrong, or at least inconsistently with advertised expectations.

If my goal is to just make local maps look nice, I’ll just set the ele = “3643 feet”, but at what point is it detrimental to the project as a whole to go against specific and explicit guidance, such that it will break software that relies on people playing well in the sandbox [by setting numeric meters].

Put another way: am I being selfish to just do it my own way and screw anybody else who’s counting on me to play by the rules?

Seems to me that it *is* reasonable to set elevation to include a number + unit of measure, but doesn’t this kind of thing go for a proposal, get input from others who care about the matter, standardize on formats such that validators can validate and harmonize, and go for some kind of vote?

I’m much too new to the project to charge ahead I that way, but I do welcome a discussion.

Steve