[Talk-us] Making paper maps from a GPX file

Eric Christensen eric at christensenplace.us
Wed May 13 22:39:31 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 03:06:18 PM stevea wrote:
> Eric Christensen writes:
> I have a GPX (and a KML) file of a route that I'd like to make paper maps
> from (or at least a PDF) but I haven't been able to find a tool that will
> do that. Is anyone aware of a tool that will take a GPX file, grab the
> necessary OSM data and break it into pieces to make a nice atlas from?
>
> In 2012 I made a very pleasing area map (city+suburbs) using
> MapOSMatic (http://maposmatic.org).  I had to fiddle the settings
> several times to get exactly the area that I wanted, especially as it
> builds an " x,y grid" and a street index with these coordinates -- a
> very nice feature that makes the result feel very much like a
> traditional street map.  This is optional, and you get five different
> renderings (mapnik/Standard, three different MapQuest Open renderings
> [US, UK, EU] and "their own"), allows multiple paper size/formats (or
> "Best Fit") and lets you localize into many languages.  Depending on
> bbox size and complexity, rendering can take one to five minutes, and
> your entry into a busy queue might cause the result to take up to an
> hour or longer.  Available download formats include SVGZ, PDF, PNG
> and a CSV-formatted index.

Yeah, I tried that earlier but it seems to be very good at making a single map
of a limited area.  It doesn't seem to be able to handle GPX input, either.
The route I have is ~100 miles long so using this tool doesn't seem like the
best way to do this.

I did run across a tool named Mobac that seemed to do exactly what I wanted
except the "paper" maps were very choppy and didn't show the route.  :(  I
think it might be better setup to create maps to upload to a digital device
(like a GPS or the like).

--Eric