[Talk-us] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in, favor of relations

Kevin Kenny kkenny2 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Nov 7 18:18:23 UTC 2015

On 11/06/2015 05:48 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
>>> Stop rendering this key and instead render the relations

>> >I believe Toby had a working mapnik-based renderer doing this on osm.us at
>> >one point, though i'm not sure what became of this.
>> >
> it was never on osm.us so far as i know. the demo is still up here:
>
> http://bl.ocks.org/ToeBee/raw/6119134/#13/42.6276/-73.8955
>
> Phil Gold did a lot of work on this, but he's been busy with other things
> and i haven't heard of any work on this in a while. i got a lot of the NYS
> county route shields up and running.
I have Phil's code adapted to my own use, and going at
https://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/test3.html?la=41.3476&lo=-74.6686&z=11
(that particular spot shows Interstate, US Highway, NY, NJ, PA and county
shields.)

I find lately that it needs a patched Mapnik, because Mapnik (sensibly)
went to a read-only database connection, and one of Phil's stored
procedures modifies the database the first time that a shield cluster
is requested. One of these times I'll fix it.

I'm a little disappointed that none of the 'standard' renderers
picked this up. (Then again, I'm disappointed in general with them.
I've shared my opinion here before in the context of area features
and nonsense like cutting lakes out of national forests in order
not to show trees in them.)

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin