[Talk-us] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in, favor of relations

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Nov 11 12:05:02 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> On 11/7/2015 10:18 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
>
>> I find lately that it needs a patched Mapnik, because Mapnik (sensibly)
>> went to a read-only database connection, and one of Phil's stored
>> procedures modifies the database the first time that a shield cluster
>> is requested. One of these times I'll fix it.
>>
>> I'm a little disappointed that none of the 'standard' renderers
>> picked this up.
>>

> Phil's demo was an excellent proof of concept of pictorial shields from
> route relations, but isn't something that can be reasonably incorporated
> into a stylesheet as-is.
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/596 is the
> OpenStreetMap Carto issue for shields from relations,
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/508 is the one
> for pictorial shields.

But, would it face the same problems just implementing relations to the
existing style?  I ask because we already have relations rendering on other
layers:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/36.1236/-95.9118&layers=C shows
various cycleways in the Tulsa area.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/36.1236/-95.9118&layers=T shows a
little more than half of the bus routes in Tulsa.