[Talk-us] Proposal: Sunset ref=* on ways in, favor of relations

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Nov 13 10:42:46 UTC 2015

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> On 11/7/2015 10:18 AM, Kevin Kenny wrote:
>
>> I find lately that it needs a patched Mapnik, because Mapnik (sensibly)
>> went to a read-only database connection, and one of Phil's stored
>> procedures modifies the database the first time that a shield cluster
>> is requested. One of these times I'll fix it.
>>
>> I'm a little disappointed that none of the 'standard' renderers
>> picked this up.
>>

> Phil's demo was an excellent proof of concept of pictorial shields from
> route relations, but isn't something that can be reasonably incorporated
> into a stylesheet as-is.
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/596 is the
> OpenStreetMap Carto issue for shields from relations,
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/508 is the one
> for pictorial shields.

There's been a lot of productive talk thus far about potentially moving
this forward, but I'm curious if it makes any difference if we preserve the
existing legends for ref right now, but start rendering the route relations
for the existing style legends where available and just skip shields until
a viable read-only method is developed on the back burner.  Or is the
problem not necessarily depending on shield legends but something more
central?