[Talk-us] San Diego Address Import Update

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Nov 11 23:44:46 UTC 2015

Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> writes:

You raise a lot of really excellent and difficult points and I am not
commenting on most of them.

> Finally, Los Angeles. The incorporated area for LA is huge and it
> surrounds other incorporated cities. But there are areas in LA like
> Woodland Hills, Chatsworth, Canoga Park, Van Nuys, and Studio City
> where the locals, when asked, won’t say they are in LA. They will give
> the local area name even though they are part of the city of Los
> Angeles. The postal address is also the local name. And the city of LA
> has even posted signs, similar to those you see when entering an
> incorporated city or town, indicating you are entering those locally
> named places. What should the addr:city name be?

Here, this seems pretty clear that subdivisions of admin_level=8 are
admin_level=9 or 10, and this is like named neighborhoods in Boston
(e.g. Back Bay, Roxbury), or Newton.

Overall, I think we should look to geographers who study this sort of
thing, and see what the professional literature seems to say.