[Talk-us] Another road classification disagreement (this time with HFCS in Kansas)

richiekennedy56 at gmail.com richiekennedy56 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 16:49:03 UTC 2015

I am the editor in question.

The discussion appears to assume that roadway design conveys type. I do not necessarily agree.

However, I can see where some roads with a high HFCS classification may warrant a class downgrade. US 24 in Central Kansas obviously connects mainly smaller towns, whereas US 54 (which I had just re-classed as trunk a few days ago) connects larger towns and cities.

I would suggest the following guidance for rural HFCS:

Interstate: Motorway

Other Freeway and Expressway: Motorway/Trunk

Principal Arterial: Trunk/Primary [1]

Minor Arterial: Primary

Major Collector: Secondary/Tertiary

Minor Collector: Tertiary

[1] In rural areas, “Other Freeway and Expressway” is a subset of “Principal Arterial,” and may be marked on official state maps as the latter. If a roadway is fully controlled access, the Motorway tag should be used.

For urban areas, I would not make any major changes:

Interstate: Motorway

Other Freeway and Expressway: Motorway/Trunk

Principal Arterial: Primary

Minor Arterial: Secondary

Major Collector/Minor Collector: Tertiary

Generally, I have noticed that many urban roads will “drop class” when they transition into rural roads. Under the guidance above, most of these roadways will maintain a consistent type in OSM.

As to Mr. Fairhurst’s comment regarding routing, I’ll remind you it is frowned upon to tag for a routing engine. I would be happy to review the existing roadways myself to determine if they should be downgraded per any updated guidance; however, a bulk revert or manual cleanup without updated guidance will also be frowned upon.