[Talk-us] Should driveways be on OSM?

Mike N niceman at att.net
Mon Sep 28 13:53:48 UTC 2015

On 9/28/2015 1:33 AM, Tom Bloom wrote:
> TIGER drew thousands of driveways that are often simply wrong. They are
> tagged private and in my opinion spoil the map appearance with little
> red squiggles all over the place. No other map I've found includes them.
> Looking around the country, I notice some areas where they were removed,
> changed to service roads, drawn de novo, and one area (near Rosebud, OR)
> where they were inexplicably changed to living_street, which they just
> aren't.

   I change them to type 'driveway'  highway=service/service=driveway
when it's clear that's what they are.   If they're in the wrong place
with wrong geometry, then it's OK to delete them.

   I think driveways do belong in OSM - we're not necessarily like other
maps.  If they're cluttering the main map, then it's a rendering issue
that can be submitted on the bug tracker.  However they aren't the
default tagging as imported from TIGER (highway=residential / possibly
private).

 > I've been deleting them if wildly wrong, and would like to delete all
 > I encounter. Any ideas?

   I don't know of any automated solutions for this.   If they really
follow a driveway, I'd rather see them changed to type driveway rather
than a deletion.