[Talk-us] Cycle_greenway

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 08:57:35 UTC 2015

Some comments from Europe.
"greenway" is used in many places in many different ways. To me the label
"Green..." looks more like a brand name.

Have a look around:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_Verte (Québec)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_boulevard
http://avenuevertelondonparis.co.uk/

Then compare to other similar items:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bicycle_road
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dliving_street

I looked at the Seattle examples, and would suggest to not use the
cycleway=cycle_greenway. To me it would look natural to map the Seattle
examples as highway=living_street (as they are already tagged). This
implies that the road is shared between all types of traffic, in line with
the greenway description in
http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/greenways.htm.
If you really need an additional key, why not use the existing key
cycleway=shared where appropriate.

Regarding relations: If the Greenways are interconnected and form a
network, I would opt for lcn route relations with names. I presume that
this list http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/greenwaysworkplan.htm shows
names and references (numbers).

Volker
(Italy)