[Talk-us] Strategy for Naming Parts of a Large Park

Kevin Kenny kkenny2 at nycap.rr.com
Mon Apr 11 00:22:45 UTC 2016

On 04/10/2016 12:24 PM, Elliott Plack wrote:
> Agreed! I think we should do a super relation too, also because with
> all of the parts spread over a large linear area, the label only
> appears in the middle, and thus is often not shown in the popular
> southern area.
>
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:40 PM stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com
> <mailto:steveaOSM at softworkers.com>> wrote:
>
>     >  The
>     >individual areas are generally nodes tagged leisure=park with
>     names like
>     >"Patapsco Valley State Park - McKeldin Area".  The whole
>     park-in-a-park
>     >thing feels a little off to me, but it does get the names
>     rendered on the
>     >default map.  :-/
>
>     This sounds similar to what in our California State Parks system are
>     known as "units."  These are discontiguous (don't touch each others'
>     borders) park areas represented in OSM as either polygon or
>     multipolygon, but are named similarly.  For example, "Henry Cowell
>     Redwoods State Park" and "Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park (Fall
>     Creek Unit)."  I agree, this doesn't seem ideal, and perhaps a
>     super-relation to tie them all together would be yet more accurate,
>     but this naming convention both seems correct and "gets the job done"
>     (e.g. causes a pleasing rendering that conveys the correct names).

When you guys sort this out, can you share technical details with me?
There are a bunch of state forests near me that are similarly fragmented
on the map (a unit within a forest within the Adirondack Park) and I'd
like to do the same thing with them.

Will the same idea work with waterways?  There are a lot of places near
me where there's a collective name: "Preston Ponds", "Essex Chain of
Lakes" ...  with individual waterbodies having the unimaginative names
"Upper Pond," "Middle Pond," "Lower Pond" or "First Lake," "Second
Lake," ... "Eighth Lake".  The naming (and rendering) on those is kind
of messed up as well. These, too, tend to be strung out in a linear
formation since each chain is on a river.

I don't want to tag for the renderer, but if there's a way to have the
tagging make sense, I'd like to hear about it. Reading the Wiki pages
about relations and multipolygons left me more confused than when I began.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin