[Talk-us] Groups of lakes (was: Strategy for Naming Parts of a Large Park)

Wolfgang Zenker wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org
Mon Apr 11 04:01:27 UTC 2016

* Kevin Kenny <kkenny2 at nycap.rr.com> [160411 02:22]:
> [..]
> Will the same idea work with waterways?  There are a lot of places near
> me where there's a collective name: "Preston Ponds", "Essex Chain of
> Lakes" ...  with individual waterbodies having the unimaginative names
> "Upper Pond," "Middle Pond," "Lower Pond" or "First Lake," "Second
> Lake," ... "Eighth Lake".  The naming (and rendering) on those is kind
> of messed up as well. These, too, tend to be strung out in a linear
> formation since each chain is on a river.

I have started to tag these groups of lakes as a site relation.
One recent example would be https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6077541
The group is collectively known as "Hellroaring Lakes", with some
of the individual lakes having their own names and others being
unnamed. The drawback of this solution: the name of the site relation
is currently not rendered on the standard map, nor is it found by
nominatim. But I expect both to change eventually if this tagging
gets used more often.

Wolfgang