[Talk-us] Talk-us Digest, Vol 101, Issue 10

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 05:53:48 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Mueller, Thomas <Mueller at calu.edu> wrote:

> I am very sorry for my lack of communication.  Yes I am Tom Mueller.  I
> have a class called Introduction to Geography.  It is a class of 100
> students.  I offered my students an opportunity of extra credit if they
> completed 3 new buildings in their hometown (about 45 students took me up
> on this option.)  I had the students watch the MapGive video and they are
> submitting the screen shots to me.  I am asking students to make changes if
> there are problems.  I attempted this type of project about a year ago and
> did not have any problems.  I am sorry I was unaware that I needed to
> contact anyone.

I believe that black and white ink make this a challenge.  I think part of
the questions raised are how does the US OSM community assist a teacher
make a subject come alive like you are doing?  When I go out to map, I do
not have ask anyone before I start mapping.  Neither should you.  What you
are doing is no different than some of the Mapathon's that the US OSM
conduct.  You are attempting to guide these students just like what happens
at a Mapathon.  Moreover, you are mirroring what most of the data tell the
community, "A new mapper tends to create their first edit in their home
town."  You mentioned MapGive.  I have provided links to several
resources.  The first two are teaching resources.  The second two links are
safety nets.  Mapping is a human endeavor.  It is full of mistakes. These
last two resources show how US OSM as a community can come alongside your
efforts and repair any alleged damage. I would rather have these two tools
lit up with problems than a perfect map where new mappers are afraid to
touch the data.  The most important that you are showing is that you can
teach Geo/GIS concepts without standing up $100K of ESRI products to do
so.  The money can stay in the class room!

http://teachosm.org/en/
http://maptime.io/
http://keepright.ipax.at/report_map.php?zoom=12&lat=39.95356&lon=-75.12364
http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/

> If this is a problem, I will ask my students to stop.  I apologize.  I was
> using this extra credit as a test case for a bigger project in the fall
> semester .  However if this is causing a problem I will also not proceed.
>

> I tell you what, depending on what you need, there are plenty of projects
that I can provide you in Arizona. You are welcome to come to my hood as an
area for your larger project.  I would be happy to help out with your fall
semester in any way that I can. An example project might be one of the many
historic districts that are still not complete.  These are not full of old
1600 to 1800 buildings.  It is believed that the number of cheap building
material resources[1] along the Salt River and the post WWII boom made
these areas a special significance worthy of the US Parks preservation
efforts.

I can show you how I built on top of all the importers that have
contributed to the US OSM efforts.  Take a well forested area, then burn
off all the trees.  That is what I a desert is.  I have pieced together all
the dams and other support features in the Metro Phoenix area that are used
to control an area without a watershed.  There are still named
rivers/washes that can be added via tracing techniques.  Related to the
washes is the WWWII escape in Papago Park.  I am still trying to hunt down
where this memorial is
http://www.laurielundquist.com/_img/Swimming%20D/CC_6md.jpg.
http://www.laurielundquist.com/public_art_CC.html.

Please proceed.  There are many mappers cheering on your efforts.

Regards,
Greg Morgan

Brentwood Historic District
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/124871379#map=17/33.46098/-112.04512