[Talk-us] Talk-us Digest, Vol 101, Issue 10

James Mast rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 20:49:24 UTC 2016

Hello Tom.

I was the first person to notice yesterday your students doing the changesets.  I'm always happy to see new users adding stuff in the general Western PA area (as long as it isn't fictional items of course), and I'm glad you're doing this.

However, there was one common problem with their changesets that I kept seeing.  If you could explain to them first the difference of the 'area=yes' [1] and 'building=*' [2] tags, that would be greatly appreciated so other users don't need to come in and fix the new items at a later date.  Most of your students were using 'area=yes' for buildings from the start.  Some corrected it on their own, others didn't, which required some other users to do it instead (one example that hasn't been fixed yet [3]).

So, as long as you can show them the wiki pages on those tags and explain the differences between the two, I think everything should be good to go here. [&#X1f60a]

-James (rickmastfan67) https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/rickmastfan67

[1] - <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:area?uselang=en-US> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:area

[2] - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building

[3] - https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/409620139