[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Old Aerodromes

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue Apr 12 14:29:38 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that the existence of an small airfield can be hard to verify from imagery - but I am also wondering what the value of this unverified and stale data is to OSM. If they were mapper surveyed nodes to begin with I would perhaps feel the need to be more cautious in removing them. I looked at perhaps 30 of them, looking them up on various airport related web sites, and ~70% of them were private air strips with no public access from air or ground. So those being fundamentally unverifiable (unless there is a sign or some structures on the ground that would make it so) I would see no problem deleting them.

I like the suggestion for encouraging additional mapping (runways) if visible and this is already part of the instruction, let me know if that could be clearer.

I am not so concerned with rendering - that’s not what we map for.

Martijn