[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Old Aerodromes

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Apr 12 15:27:17 UTC 2016

On 4/12/2016 2:40 AM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 April 2016, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I was mapping some rural area in the U.S. and noticed, not for the
>> >first time, an aerodrome node in the middle of a field where there is
>> >obviously no airport or airfield.
> I am not sure here.  For small airfields the aeroway=aerodrome feature
> is a fairly abstract thing essentially indicating only that this is a
> place where aircrafts start or land.  This is not generally something
> that can be reliably determined from imagery.

You can't reliably find small airfields from imagery, but I've found it
possible to verify a lack of airfields from it. I pass though
agricultural areas, and the airfields that are still active all appear
somehow on imagery, even if it's just an area where the ground cover is
different. On the other hand, some of the aeroway=aerodrome we have data
for include points in fields of corn, residential areas, and stands of
trees.