[Talk-us] [OSM-talk] Old Aerodromes

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Apr 12 15:56:17 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 12 April 2016, Paul Norman wrote:

> > I am not sure here.  For small airfields the aeroway=aerodrome
> > feature is a fairly abstract thing essentially indicating only that
> > this is a place where aircrafts start or land.  This is not
> > generally something that can be reliably determined from imagery.
>
> You can't reliably find small airfields from imagery, but I've found
> it possible to verify a lack of airfields from it.

I agree this can be possible based on the considerations that it would
be impossible to properly land an aircraft there (i.e. identification
of the lack of possibility for an airfield to exist).  But it should be
made clear to the mappers that with something as abstract as an
airfield the lack of positive indications for the presence of a feature
is not generally sufficient basis for removing data without local
knowledge or identifying the original source of the data, for example a
certain import, as unreliable.

For example i'd consider a stretch of road in a remote area that is
frequently used for landing small aircraft a valid case of
aeroway=aerodrome - likewise for a dry riverbed or lakebed, all of
which will usually lack any visual signs for being used for this
purpose unless an aircraft happens to be there the moment you look.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/