[Talk-us] Editing US National Parks

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 15:05:11 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Alan Bragg <alan.d.bragg at gmail.com> wrote:

>> This led me to the discover the NP Mapping page
>> <https://www.nps.gov/npmap/tools/park-tiles/improve/> which explains how
>> their database and OSM interface.
>>
> From the above page: "Park Tiles is currently pulling many feature types
from OpenStreetMap, although we are in the process of replacing this data
with data from our Places <https://www.nps.gov/npmap/tools/places/> system." -
does this mean that the Park Service will be replacing the data in OSM with
their data, or that in the future the "Park Tiles" will be generated from
the "Places System"? I heard someone associated with the Park Service
recently state "we are going to push our data into OSM and lock it down."
Although this doesn't make any sense (I don't think there is any technical
means to "lock down" any data in OSM, and if there were, I don't think the
community would stand for it), it did concern me greatly.

Mike