[Talk-us] Editing US National Parks

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Apr 29 15:45:01 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 8:05 AM, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From the above page: "Park Tiles is currently pulling many feature types
> from OpenStreetMap, although we are in the process of replacing this data
> with data from our Places <https://www.nps.gov/npmap/tools/places/>
>  system." - does this mean that the Park Service will be replacing the
> data in OSM with their data, or that in the future the "Park Tiles" will be
> generated from the "Places System"? I heard someone associated with the
> Park Service recently state "we are going to push our data into OSM and
> lock it down." Although this doesn't make any sense (I don't think there is
> any technical means to "lock down" any data in OSM, and if there were, I
> don't think the community would stand for it), it did concern me greatly.
>

>From past conversations with NPS employees I've learned that NPS is using a
modified version of the iD editor. Changesets from that editor are uploaded
to both OSM and NPS. The OSM data is added to our database while the NPS
feed is sent to be validated before being added to NPS data.

Read the article [1] on NPS website for a better description of the process.

[1]
https://www.nps.gov/npmap/blog/nps-plus-osm-equals-places-of-interest.html

Clifford

--