[Talk-us] [Imports] Proposing import of sidewalk data Seattle, WA, USA

ajt1047 at gmail.com ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 12:06:34 UTC 2016

On 06/08/2016 23:40, Greg Morgan wrote:

> Again relevance:  I am still waiting for a stop sign to be rendered a
> year after it was requested. If we wait until a stop sign gets all
> artsie and fartsie, then it will never be rendered and it will never
> be mapped or shall I say mappers will become uninterested without a
> reward for their efforts.  We deny one stop light towns the pleasure
> of seeing something happen on the map.  We need this kind of data
> before the renders can even have some use cases to work from.
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1683

Again this seems to be is the "I'm waiting for someone else to do
something" line.  If you want a map rendering that shows stop signs,
create one, like I did for sidewalks*.  Back in the day of hand-crafting
Mapnik XML there was a seriously high bar to clear before "making your
own map style", but now with CartoCSS (for which thanks, Mapbox!) that
simply isn't the case any more.  If what you do makes sense at a local
or national level it can get picked up at that level, and it'll stand
much more chance of being included in one of the styles on the main
osm.org site if you've got an example that says "here's how to do it and
here's what it looks like"**.

Best Regards,

Andy

* https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SomeoneElse/diary/38136