[Talk-us] Compare GPX to OSM ways

Nathan Wessel nate.wessel at mail.utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 22 18:35:50 UTC 2016

OSRM has a map-matching function<https://github.com/Project-OSRM/osrm-backend/blob/master/docs/http.md#service-match>, which I've been using for this purpose (in part) with some success. You just pass your GPX track to OSRM (running with recent OSM data) and it returns a route matched to the network, along with a confidence value between 0 and 1 which is something like the probability that the matched route is correct. I've found that very low matches (< ~0.2) have generally indicated that something is definitely wrong/missing in the OSM data, and have pointed me toward fixes/additions that result in a more satisfying confidence rating.

You'd just have to set up the appropriate profile for whatever vehicle/mode your trace was from.

Just my two cents,

Nate