[Talk-us] Check your turn:lanes

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Aug 25 17:38:29 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Jack Burke <burkejf3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I take it that at least you and I are in agreement that the wiki is
> deficient for branching exits like this one:
> http://mapillary.com/map/im/7igAGXSa6EsUYlTIujXchw

Yes, that's correct.  Moving a couple frames closer to
http://mapillary.com/map/im/MsMAW3HKVNYxEVCtkRneBg, here's how I would tag
three segments based on what's visible there and no other context:

Ahead of camera after diverging ramp:

highway=motorway
oneway=yes
lanes=3
ref=I 75
hgv:lanes=no|yes|yes

The ramp from the physical gore (next to the exit sign) to the tip of the
theoretical (painted) gore (with the node for the intersection being even
with the theoretical gore):

highway=motorway_link
oneway=yes
placement=transition
lanes=1
destination=Sycamore;Ocilla
destination:ref=GA 32  (also, damn, had to check the minimap on that, I
almost said MO 32 based on the shape).
junction:ref=78

Behind the camera:

highway=motorway
oneway=yes
lanes=3
ref=I 75
hgv:lanes=no|yes|yes
turn:lanes=through|through|through;slight_right

Your Osmand "invention" example is a perfect case-study of what I'm working
> on.  I'm trying to get exits on I 75 in Georgia and Florida tagged with
> destination and lane guidance so that Osmand can show proper guidance, and
> hopefully other OSM-based navigation apps will add that feature, too.  As
> it stands, I use Osmand to test my tags.

I've been testing this, as well.  I'm fortunate enough to live in a city
that has nearly every kind of interchange to play with (except for some of
the newer CFI styles, but OKC and...for like, no reason, rural interchanges
with basically no traffic on I 40 leading into the Ouachitas are getting
those) and well enough aware of the tagging in play to have seen what works
and what doesn't, now.