[Talk-us] Center Turn Lanes/Auxiliary Lanes

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 23:14:39 UTC 2016

There is a proposed tag for lanes:both_ways=*
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Suffix_both_ways>
that I use for those. The handy JOSM Turn Lanes plugin supports this, which you
can see in the second screencap on their repo
<https://github.com/JOSM/turnlanes-tagging>. Mapbox has done a lot of turn
lane mapping around the US and offer some helpful tips here
<https://www.mapbox.com/blog/turn-lanes-mapping/>
and here <https://www.mapbox.com/blog/la-turn-lanes-map/>.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 6:05 PM Spencer Gardner <spencergardner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've been researching the way auxiliary lanes (right/left turn, etc.) are
> tagged in OSM but I can't tell if there's an accepted standard for handling
> these. There are a number of competing proposals for different scenarios
> and nothing seems to cover all cases.
>
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:turn>
> Key:turn <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:turn> appears to be
> pretty widely used but I don't see anything in there about the commonly
> used center turn lane
> <http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part3/fig3b_07_longdesc.htm> here in
> the US.
>
> So I guess I have two questions:
>
>    1. Is there an accepted standard for handling auxiliary lanes?
>    2. Is there a common way for US mappers to tag the center turn lane?
>
> Thanks,
> Spencer

Elliott Plack
http://elliottplack.me