[Talk-us] Center Turn Lanes/Auxiliary Lanes

Spencer Gardner spencergardner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 23:04:32 UTC 2016

I've been researching the way auxiliary lanes (right/left turn, etc.) are
tagged in OSM but I can't tell if there's an accepted standard for handling
these. There are a number of competing proposals for different scenarios
and nothing seems to cover all cases.

<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:turn>
Key:turn <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:turn> appears to be pretty
widely used but I don't see anything in there about the commonly used center
turn lane <http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part3/fig3b_07_longdesc.htm>
here in the US.

So I guess I have two questions:

   1. Is there an accepted standard for handling auxiliary lanes?
   2. Is there a common way for US mappers to tag the center turn lane?

Thanks,
Spencer