[Talk-us] An actual mini roundabout!

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Dec 10 11:16:41 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 12:58 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 6:38 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Does it do harm to treat a mini as a regular roundabout in the land that
>> isn't even doing big roundabouts right yet?
>>

> Probably no harm but if you were a trucking company looking to deliver
> goods to an address was only accessible via a roundabout, you might want to
> make sure the truck could transverse the roundabout. The roundabout in my
> example has a small diameter which could preclude longer trailers from
> using if the center was impassable. To get to the businesses would mean
> driving 5 miles south on the interstate before heading back on the frontage
> road.
>
> I think the document that went with this roundabout is pretty clear that
> it is intended as a mini-roundabout, even with the raised apron. The
> weather is pretty crummy right now or I'd get some pictures.

I think more specific tagging would be more appropriate than tagging this
as a mini roundabout, as trying to cut across an apron on a motorcycle,
bicycle or car is going to be ouch-o-rama for something is designed to be
traversable by trucks, whereas mini roundabouts are routinely ignored if
nobody else is at the junction.  Maybe tagging for the regular kind of
roundabout (with the raised middle) to take into account an apron would be
a better idea than trying to shoehorn mini_roundabout into something it's
not.