[Talk-us] highway=trunk for NHS routes?

Kerry Irons irons54vortex at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 21:19:24 UTC 2016

Not to cloud this discussion, but be aware that at least some states refer to “county trunk” roads at the county level.  Near as I can tell that simply means “major” vs. “minor” roads at the county level without rigid criteria to define them.  Looking at the US NHS roads for my area, it seems that the choices to include a given highway in the NHS is fairly arbitrary.  There may have been traffic counts included in the decision but that would have been only part of the criteria – highways in low-population areas are part of the NHS while much heavier traffic highways in more densely populated areas are not.

Kerry Irons