[Talk-us] County Road Tiles

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Feb 11 18:46:53 UTC 2016

Sixty percent of Washington State counties have open data portals with GIS
data. Washington State laws (Open Records Act) requires that this data be
open to the public. Road data from most of the counties seem to be much
more current than TIGER data.  I've been creating background tiles for
nearby counties but I would like to find a way to share the information
with others. Since tiles use a lot of disk space, I've been looking for
solution other than using my laptop. One promising solution is Mapbox
Studio's vector tile service. Unfortunately the ability to provide
background tiles is not yet available. If anyone from Mapbox has an update
on when, I would be interested in hearing from you.

My questions to the community are:
      * Is it valuable to have county tiles available as backgrounds in our
editors?
      * Counties use all sorts of formats for name and road
classifications. Should we produce generalized background or a detailed
background with different colors and line type with a key? The key would
have to be on the wiki as far as I know.
      * The data is usually updated monthly. How often should we try to
update the tiles?
      * Is there a good cost effective solution to serve these tiles?
      * If the solution is to use a cloud based service, is the US Chapter
willing to pay for the service?

Washington State is the only state with counties providing open data. If
this works for Washington, it could work for others. If this approach is
adopted, a scaleable solution will be required.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us