[Talk-us] County Road Tiles

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 19:30:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> Sixty percent of Washington State counties have open data portals with GIS
> data. Washington State laws (Open Records Act) requires that this data be
> open to the public. Road data from most of the counties seem to be much
> more current than TIGER data.  I've been creating background tiles for
> nearby counties but I would like to find a way to share the information
> with others. Since tiles use a lot of disk space, I've been looking for
> solution other than using my laptop. One promising solution is Mapbox
> Studio's vector tile service. Unfortunately the ability to provide
> background tiles is not yet available. If anyone from Mapbox has an update
> on when, I would be interested in hearing from you.
>
> My questions to the community are:
>       * Is it valuable to have county tiles available as backgrounds in
> our editors?
>       * Counties use all sorts of formats for name and road
> classifications. Should we produce generalized background or a detailed
> background with different colors and line type with a key? The key would
> have to be on the wiki as far as I know.
>       * The data is usually updated monthly. How often should we try to
> update the tiles?
>       * Is there a good cost effective solution to serve these tiles?
>       * If the solution is to use a cloud based service, is the US Chapter
> willing to pay for the service?
>
> Washington State is the only state with counties providing open data. If
> this works for Washington, it could work for others. If this approach is
> adopted, a scaleable solution will be required.

Hopefully that last paragraph was a typo, because there are tons of
counties providing open data. :)

If someone wants to work with me to get a tiling/caching system going
please let me know. OSM US already runs a caching tile server with several
layers for folks in the US to use. I'm happy to add more (and make adding
more easier).