[Talk-us] San Jose GIS data license

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 15:35:37 UTC 2016

Arun,

In my experience, governments don't intend for disclaimers to be a license.
They're merely attempting to limit governments' liability to suits
resulting from the misuse or misinterpretation of the data, or inaccurate
data. Digging around the San Jose Website, I see they have an open data
catalog with a Public Domain Dedication & License (PDDL) that applies to
datasets in the catalog. Therefore I'd assume this data to be public domain.

http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/pddl/

Elliott

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 7:37 AM Arun Ganesh <arun.planemad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone checked out the GIS data for San Jose:
> https://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=3308
>
> The data seem fairly comprehensive:
> - City Council Districts
> - Parcels, Single Street Centerlines and Divided Street Centerlines
> - Address Points, Air Parcels, Building Footprints, Condo Points,
> Intersections, Side Walk Areas, and Tract Boundaries
> - Sanitary Mains and Sanitary Manholes
> - Storm Mains, Manholes, Inlets, Laterals, Outfalls, Overland Drains and
> Pumpstations
> - Zoning designations
>
> The disclaimer is a little vague and essentially says the data is provided
> as is with no gaurantee
> https://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/16118
>
> Does this mean its ok to use for OSM or is a more explicit license needed?
> Could not find any prior discussion of the dataset on list.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Arun Ganesh
> (planemad) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Planemad>