[Talk-us] Map Your Train Ride!

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Feb 24 21:52:29 UTC 2016

I don't know how to promote this any better than to say this here and
hope it makes its way into local chapters' mind-space.  I'd like to
begin a campaign to encourage OSM volunteers to:

Map Your Train Ride!

Add public_transport=platforms to the map and/or route=train relation
of your commute. It's easy: add a node or draw a small polygon
representing the location of the platform, tag with
public_transport=platform, railway=platform and highway=footway. You
might also add it to the proper route=train relation(s) which should
be found around that railway=station. For further guidance, see the
diagram of a "simple railway station" at
http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dstation#A_Simple_Railway_Station
.

OSM shows the USA has a growing and better-tagged network of rail
infrastructure:  our TIGER import got us started by depositing bare
rail, some has been improved (see
http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_States_railways for how
to do so) and infrastructure, route=railway and route=train relation
improvements have been refined/added in many places.  When done
correctly, this gets us to public_transport:version=1.  That's good,
but public_transport:version=2 requires good station and platform
data.  This is where crowdsourcing Map Your Train Ride can really
help!

Let's encourage our local chapters to unleash the power of "a few
platforms here, a few platforms there" into OSM's train routes in the
USA.  Our rail infrastructure and train routes are just getting
better and better!

SteveA
California