[Talk-us] Smartphone App that searches OSM addresses?

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 05:54:20 UTC 2016

I am using the Android version of Maps.ME and there is a IOS version.  I
just tried an address in Maps.ME.  If found an address that I knew was
there.  You have choices to load state by state files.  High zoom tiles
come by default with the application so that you have reference roads.  You
will be asked to load the state file as you zoom in to find detail.  The
search/routing requires that you select the larger of two available files
for the state. I have not tried to create my own tiles.  They do provide a
quarterly update to the files along with the application if required.  I
suggested the IOS version to my sister who may travel to Europe.  She
seemed pleased.   I wanted to use a Garmin like app for Android for the
files that Dave Hansen produces of the US.  I tried Maps.ME before I
searched for other options. The Maps.ME application fixes the roaming data
problem that I have with cell coverage in Arizona.   I found an old working
Samsung 2 without a sim card.  I turned on Airplane mode and reenabled WiFi
access--saving battery.  I have all the states west of the Mississippi
loaded on that phone without addition microSD card use.  That allows me to
take pictures with Mapillary on my primary phone yet still have map
coverage with the second phone.

Regards,
Greg