[Talk-us] Smartphone App that searches OSM addresses?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sun Jan 10 04:12:38 UTC 2016

> On Jan 9, 2016, at 7:49 PM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:
>
> In the case where a county completely revamps its road network and addressing scheme for E911 purposes, then authorizes its road and address data to OSM, and it's properly imported, are there any Smartphone apps for both Android and IOS that would search those addresses?   And have turn by turn routing.
>
>  My cursory review:
>
>  OffMaps2 - Yes on address search, no on routing
>   GPS Nav - uses commercial address reference over OSM address
>   Scout - "  "
>    OSMAnd - theoretically Yes on Android (I haven't tried it), I can't get any OSM address search to work on iPhone
>
> Any suggestions?

FWIW, I’ve never had OsmAnd on Android properly handle a US style street address in a geo intent. The only geo intent I’ve gotten to work was a lat/lon pair. This makes it unusable when selecting an address in the contact app and trying to display its location or compute a route.

It will, however, do an address lookup within the app properly with OSM state, city, street and house number data. At least for whole numbers on house numbers. And you can route to the address that you’ve looked up this way, etc.