[Talk-us] Join us for another import party at the L.A. Times June 25

Omar Ureta omaru at theworks.la
Fri Jul 1 05:46:20 UTC 2016

Hi Jon and Michael,

With the importance of having buildings on OSM, I agree that we should
have POI for the businesses or listings in a building as they may
change over the course of the year (say a business is no longer
there), the likely-hood of the building changing won't.

>From an architectural and urban planning perspective, the building
characteristics (type of building, age, height, type of construction,
of the building, SquareFootage, # of floors) are of interest for
applications or visualization (density analysis, distribution of land
uses, open space, 3d modeling) similar to identifying the
characteristics of a bridge like it's structure type. I've been
reading about the use of "Indoor_Mapping" of buildings in OSM to
indicate rooms, seating capacity, # of elevators that could eventually
be added. In Los Angeles there are buildings that are listed on
historic registers on a National, State and Local level. The architect
of the building can be listed as key,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:architect.

In regards for emergency, how does the effort with HOTOSM play into
adding buildings for relief efforts? We're always working post
disaster. The opportunity before LA's long awaited big earthquake is
to have the LA map ready for such an event, to which I'm sure a HOTOSM
would occur for people to use recent satellite imagery of a
post-earthquake LA to tag buildings as damaged, which could serve as a
base layer for official maps for respective agencies.

With building a strong mapping community, I believe those in LA
(myself and Jon included) have a tremendous undertaking in getting
word out about OSM in general, many of the local universities (USC,
UCLA) are not even aware of OSM or such a platform, even notable is
the lack of knowledge on Free and Open Source Software (many are tied
to ESRI and other propreitary platforms). It is with this building
import that this brings newcomers to the scene and we could get the
dedicated few or "many" in contributing and maintaing the LA map.

-Omar

Sorry if this is duplication: didn't know if my last email went through.

On Jun 30, 2016, at 10:00 AM, Michael Reichert <nakaner at gmx.net

Hi,

Am Fri, 17 Jun 2016 22:20:46 +0000 schrieb Jonathan Schleuss:
The Los Angeles Times will host another import party to push the "Great
L.A. County Import" forward. We've imported more than half a million
buildings with the great help of locals and the folks from Mapbox.

Did each participant use a separate account for this import?

Yes. We have some users who didn't have a separate account, but most
are here:https://github.com/osmlab/labuildings/issues/40
And inside the "stats" pages under each HOT task here:
http://labuildingsimport.com

My focus is to use this import strengthen the Southern California OSM
community. But, the project is open to all. If you're in the area,
please join us.

Do you really believe that this helps the local community? A healthy map
has a strong community and a strong community consists out of people who
look after their neighbourhood on the map (i.e. keep data up to date).

I do. I've hosted four import events and reached out to a ton of local
editors. Work still needs to be done. Let me know if you have
suggestions on how to strengthen the community further.

Meetup even page Import guidelines Tasking manager I've also been
working to improve our language on why we're doing this. Feedback and
more ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Why are we doing this?

• To improve our map! More data will allow more users to create projects
and do analysis on a variety of things. How many units are located
within 1,000 feet of a freeway? What's the average building age in a
neighborhood? What's the tallest building on Sunset Boulevard? The data
will tell you.

• To catch up with other cities! New York has buildings. Seattle has
buildings. San Francisco. Portland. Even Bakersfield has buildings. L.A.
County should too!

• Because a big earthquake is coming. Free and open data will assist
first responders. And later it will allow folks to update the buildings
with tags showing whether they have been destroyed, are dangerous or
have been red-tagged.

Why do buildings have to be at OSM? Is there any problem which prevents
you and others to use a free-licensed third party source for building
data if you have/want to create an emergency map?

No problems. The buildings will improve the map and will allow a
redudant and maybe better supply of data in the event of a major
disaster. For instance, if Los Angeles is hit with a large earthquake,
will the county's GIS servers be available? Will there be power. Many
unknowns here and crowd-sourcing the disaster's effects seems like a
good move. Then anyone can download and make their own custom map. For
instance, I could update my neighborhood with services and distribute
printed maps if power/internet is out. Buildings will improve a
block-by-block map.

• To encourage more edits. Once buildings are in the map, people will be
able to orient themselves to the shapes, making it easier to add more
data, like names or businesses.

Adding POIs also works without buildings on the map. You still have
aerial imagery (i.e. Bing). Apart from offline editors like OsmAnd and
MAPS.ME, you have an aerial image available at all those editors.

Yes, true. And Los Angles loves the strip mall, which is one building
with many POIs. We're looking at importing active businesses and other
items here: https://github.com/socal-osm

Thanks for comments, Michael.

Jon

Best regards