[Talk-us] Common names of highways do not match road signs.

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Jul 8 07:53:09 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Kevin Morgan <morgankevinj at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> It is confusing to use open street maps in my area(Central Ohio) for
> driving directions since the "common names" of high ways do not match
> road signs. The common names are used by open map chest for road names.
> For example when turning on to State Route 315 with OpenMapChest loaded
> on my GPS I am directed to turn on to Olentangy Freeway. However the
> tiger name on open street maps is State route 315. Would it make more
> sense to configure driving maps to use tiger names for driving
> directions,  change commons names to include the state route number or
> interstate number, or add state route number/ interstate number as a
> different tag?

ref=* isn't name=*, don't tag for the renderer.  I'd go with the official
name for name=*.  If you're inclined to do something like, name=State Route
315, you really want ref=OH 315.   Not all highways with refs will have
names, not all highways with names have refs.  In particularly remote
areas, it's not uncommon for a road to not have a name or a ref.
Conversely, there's highways that might have eight or nine refs and
multiple names.