[Talk-us] Common names of highways do not match road signs.

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Jul 8 14:07:24 UTC 2016

It's been a long time since I've messed much with turning OSM data
into Garmin maps, but even back then the main problem was mapping the
OSM data model to the Garmin data model, what kind of data to retain,
what data to leave out, what data needed to be massaged before being
included etc. It's more of an art than a science. If you're having
problems, they best thing to do isn't to change the OSM data (unless
it's obviously wrong) but to discuss with the OpenMapChest people what
sort of changes could be made to their translation process to improve
your results. This is the first I've heard of OpenMapChest (but it
looks cool, I still have a Garmin GPS that I get out now and then) so
I don't know what the best way to contact them is (there's nothing on
their web site that provides specific contact information).

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Kevin Morgan <morgankevinj at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> It is confusing to use open street maps in my area(Central Ohio) for
> driving directions since the "common names" of high ways do not match
> road signs. The common names are used by open map chest for road names.
> For example when turning on to State Route 315 with OpenMapChest loaded
> on my GPS I am directed to turn on to Olentangy Freeway. However the
> tiger name on open street maps is State route 315. Would it make more
> sense to configure driving maps to use tiger names for driving
> directions,  change commons names to include the state route number or
> interstate number, or add state route number/ interstate number as a
> different tag?
>
> --
>   Kevin Morgan
>   morgankevinj at fastmail.fm