[Talk-us] Common names of highways do not match road signs.

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 14:22:37 UTC 2016

I've tended to use "name:signed=no" and/or "ref:signed=no" if there's a
name or ref that is agreed to be "correct" but not useful for
navigation.  It's not used much:

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/name%3Asigned

but it does mean that you can exclude "non-useful names" from maps made
with OSM data, either in a slippy map:

https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L1762

or on a Garmin.

In the UK we've also had a problem with some (generally armchair)
mappers thinking that "all roads must have a name" and "any name is
better than no name" so they've been adding "names" that might have been
in a news report ages ago along the lines of "Greater Chigley and
Trumpton Bypass Scheme" which aren't signed and aren't useful.  I tend
to move those to "description".

Cheers,

Andy