[Talk-us] Status and progress: NYS DEC Lands reimport
kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 23:31:35 UTC 2016
The reimport of NYS DEC Lands that I proposed this spring is now complete,
except as noted below. Now would be a good time to check that I got it
I am aware of the following issues that need to be resolved before I call
the import 'complete.'
(1) I have not imported a fair number of parcels in the Long Island pine
barrens. The reason is that local mappers have in many cases reused the
nodes marking the parcel boundaries as edges of polygons that specify
further land uses, or land covers (wood, scrub, wetland, meadow, etc.) In
many cases, these appear to have been attempts to tag for the renderer,
since inspection of aerial photographs shows land cover inconsistent with
the tagging (natural=wood on what is obviously a brownfield site or a
tidal flat, for example). This will require rather a lot of hand work to
reconcile, and it's in an area where I don't have recent "boots on the
ground" experience. If some local mappers from Suffolk County are willing
to step forward and help me, that would be a tremendous relief. I can put
up a .osm file with the DEC data as it should appear; other tagging (such
as natural=*, landuse=*, related tags) obviously has to be reconciled with
what's already there.
(2) All the Long Island parcels, with the exception of the Ridge
Conservation Area, need a mechanical edit to replace 'access=yes' with
'access=permit permit:website=http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7815.html.' I
was unaware of this restriction when I started the import, and put Long
Island on hold when I learnt about it, but there are a fair number of
parcels already imported that need to be revised. I can come up with a
script to identify them.
(3) There are areas that comprise multiple separated parcels where a glitch
in the import resulted in duplication of the multipolygon relation.
Northern Montezuma Wildlife Management Area is the only one that I'm aware
of, but I'm working up a script to audit the entire import and report
(4) Wildlife Management Areas exist that are not the current incarnation of
the former State Game Farms. It would be a good idea to tag all Wildlife
Management Areas with 'protection_object=habitat' rather than the current
'protection_object=hunting;fishing'. I fixed a couple of these manually,
but want to do a mechanical edit to replace the rest.
(5) I want to add leisure=nature_reserve to the landuse=aquaculture and
boundary=protected_area that is present on the state fish hatcheries. This
is not exactly a lie, since the land is protected, and if it is no longer
used as a hatchery, it would revert to the default of 'state forest.' It's
consciously tagging for the renderer, since there's otherwise nothing there
that renders at all.
(6) A number of parcels on the Hudson enjoy Federal as well as State
protection, as the Hudson River National Estuarine Research Reserve. I need
to finish researching which those are, and create a super-relation for them.
(7) Many website=* links are dead or go to incorrect places. I have a
script written already to enumerate the parcels that link to a website
whose title differs significantly from the parcel name. These need to be
inspected and better links found, if possible. (Failing anything else,
links to the correct DEC regional office.) This is work that I could share
out fairly easily, if anyone else wants to participate.
(8) I have wikipedia= links for only a few of the most prominent sites. I'm
sure that there are others with a Wikipedia presence, and searching for
them could be partially automated. This is a low-urgency job, and again
could be shared out pretty easily.
On the whole, this reimport went considerably better than I expected. There
were a few glitches that had to be corrected by stopping the import, doing
mechanical edits, and resuming the import from where it left off, but on
the whole the process was extremely smooth. In the vast majority of cases,
there was no incompatible editing done since the initial import, so it was
merely, "out with the old, in with the new." A check in JOSM for
conflicting data took no more than a few seconds. (The other end of the
spectrum was that a great many islands in the Adirondacks had to be drawn
and added to their respective lakes. This got quite tedious indeed.)
Thanks to all who helped with this!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Talk-us