[Talk-us] [Imports] Status and progress: NYS DEC Lands reimport

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue Jul 19 12:25:35 UTC 2016

Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> writes:

> On this particular issue I believe you should use different tagging.
> Currently there is almost no use of access=permit
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/access=permit
> Typically if you require a permission for access it is "private" (maybe
> something with "access:conditional" would also be appropriate:
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/access%3Aconditional#values ), you
> could still link the detailed specifiication with a similar tag, like
> access:website=http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7815.html
> (choosing from the most frequently used tags, maybe it could be
> "source:access"?)

It seems like the tagging schema should be improved.  As I see it
there's a big difference between

  private, and really there is no expectation that some random person
  can easily/reasonably get permission or that it's reasonable to ask

  a permit system, where it's controlled somehow, but really you can go
  there after you follow the rules, and there's an expectation that
  permits will be issued to those who ask

The second case also sort of applies to backcountry in national parks,
except technically you only need a permit for camping overnight.

Perhaps you are saying that access=conditional has some established
semantics that would capture this.