[Talk-us] [Imports] Kansas City addresses from maps.kcmo.org

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Jul 30 19:55:06 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 5:12 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 12:02 PM, teslas_moustache <
> teslas_moustache at riseup.net> wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure if property lines and ownership are useful. And I don't
>> think that building outlines are included, so I may need to continue
>> with drawing rectangles for a while. But hey, addresses!
>>
>> What needs to be done?
>>

> While property lines don't belong in OSM,

I barely understand this perspective at face value.  I get that these are
in flux, but they're commonly verifiable close enough to reflect
on-the-ground use, or the county wouldn't collect that as a data point to
start with.

> they can be useful. Having parcel boundaries can be useful to figure out
> the address of a building. Especially if you can get access to the
> property, i.e. the owner has no trespassing signs posted. Other tools such
> as QGIS and PostGIS come in handy for getting your data ready for import.

Basically this.  Both objectively for the vast majority of e911 plots and
subjectively for either multiple buildings for a single plot or multiple
addresses for a single building.