[Talk-us] Best practices for dealing with old TIGER tags?

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 15:29:23 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 5:58 AM Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

> Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > OK, 'residential' if it looks like 'subdivision', 'unclassified'
> > otherwise (as long as it's drivable in, say, my daughter's car rather
> > than my 4-wheeler). Got it.
>
> I also see a distinction between residential/unclassified as denoting a
> legal road (around me, carved-out parcel wise from the surrounding land)
> vs track and some service denoting a non-legal-road.  However, others
> see the physical and legal attributes as separate.

My understanding of the description of "unclassified" is unclassified is a
step between residential and tertiary.   It's a connecting road, minor
connector, whatever, that doesn't have residential on it, but it's not high
enough in classification to make it a tertiary road.

I usually use it for roads in industrial complexes, loops around malls,
business complexes, or other connectors/roads where there's no obvious
residential around.

Eric