[Talk-us] Tagging National Forests

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Mon May 9 17:02:38 UTC 2016

Looping back to this. I was looking at the town of Breckenridge, Colorado,
and the whole things is covered by trees. On some renders, it is just a big
green blob over the town. Here it is:

This is not right. "landuse" implies that the *land* has a *use*, which is
whatever follows the = sign. I am fine if we want to say that landuse =
timber production (or whatever) in general, but to render the tag
landuse=forest with little trees or a bold green color does not give the
right impression to the viewer. I think we should be encouraging users to
trace the forests more precisely, rather than with big blocks.

Also I've noticed these Colorado imports are not being done by a user with
an _import account, so it makes me wonder if these folks importing forest
cover are following the import rules. These forests also have a national
park tag, which they are not.

Some examples attached. Note the forest covered parking lots and lakes.

[image: 2016-05-09 12_59_30-OpenStreetMap _ Relation_ ‪White River National
Forest‬ (‪3724941‬).png]What is the current consensus? Maybe we should all
get behind this proposal, and start changing landuses to landcovers where
appropriate? http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landcover