[Talk-us] Tagging National Forests

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 19:56:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 1:32 PM, OSM Volunteer stevea <
steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:

> On May 10, 2016, at 12:13 PM, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry if I misrepresented your viewpoint.
>

> Not a problem.  Sorry if I sounded harsh while doing so.  Just a minor
> disagreement that we seem to have ironed out.

No problem, glad we have it worked out.

> I strongly believe (and have asserted here many times) that because my
> national forests allow me to collect downed wood and start a campfire (not
> always, but enough of the time that I consider this a generally true fact
> in our national forests) that “gathering of fallen branches for firewood”
> meets the definition of “forestry.”  Very, very small scale (individual
> human being!) forestry, though forestry nonetheless.  Importantly, I (and
> others) feel strongly that OSM should support this with clear rendering, so
> it can be seen where it is possible to do this.  As the song goes:  “This
> land is your land, this land is my land, from the redwood forests…”.

Ok, you are talking about gathering of fallen branches, not just cutting of
standing trees. In which case, why is my backyard, from which I gather
fallen branches for firewood, any different from a landuse perspective,
than a National Forest? What about a private campground, open to the paying
public, where they allow the gathering of fallen branches for firewood? I
don't understand how ownership should change how landuse is classified.

> > We really have a number of different facts we are attempting to
>> represent:
>> > * What is on the ground (i.e. landcover). Currently this is tagged
>> natural=wood, but we could change to landcover=trees, or whatever we agree
>> on.
>>
>> Yes, I agree, but a fair bit more evolution, description and
>> full-fleshing out of semantics (and very likely, real rendering) must be
>> established for the landcover tag before we get nothing but utter confusion
>> using it.
>>
> Fleshing out is good, but I think the community is close.
>

> Well, “closer,” yes.  Close, I respectfully disagree.  We need a
> super-terrificly written (very clear) wiki page, we really ought to have at
> least a plan for how this will be rendered in mapnik (if not outright
> rendering already beginning) and we might have some serious biologists
> and/or botanists and/or forestry folks make thoughtful contributions to a
> highly-developed tagging scheme.  I don’t believe we are there yet.

I agree there is room for improvement.  BTW, this publication may be
useful: http://www.pbcgis.com/data_basics/anderson.pdf

> Again:  GOOD!  This is awesome discussion, and I want to declare my
> ridiculous enthusiasm for this project and how I see it continually
> progressing.

Yes! We are making progress!

Mike