[Talk-us] Rail rendering support in our wiki?

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Tue Oct 25 15:21:01 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-24 17:31, OSM Volunteer stevea wrote:
> As I also make USA rail contributions, is there any way that our wiki might allow similar "layer=rail" syntax to display OpenRailwayMap (.org), for example to display an appropriate rendering at the top of our California/Railroads wiki page?

The <slippymap> tag comes from the Simple Image MediaWiki extension. [1]
You can specify layer="transport" to get the same rail- and bus-focused
style as the Transport layer on osm.org. (Incidentally, layer="cycle"
also works.)

The extension's source code is on GitHub, if anyone is interested in
improving it. [2] However, at this point, it sure would be nice to be
able to use the Kartographer extension's slippy maps instead. [3][4]

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_image_MediaWiki_Extension
[2] https://github.com/Firefishy/SimpleMap
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Kartographer
[4] https://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/5431