[Talk-us] Deleting / Closing / Renaming all places in a chain

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Wed Sep 7 08:30:45 UTC 2016

On 06/09/16 23:01, Elliott Plack wrote:
> Should we launch an automated edit, or some kind of batch process on OSM
> to clear the database `name=ITT Tech` (or similar) worldwide?

Be careful about the "worldwide" part. There are many country specific
brands, and it could be possible that the name is used elsewhere in the
world for some other group. You don't want to accidentally "close" lots
of shops/companies in another country which has nothing to do with the
company you're thinking of.

In general, if you were to do it, restrict it to a while list of
countries that you know that brand operates in.

(A quick overpass query tells me there's only one name="ITT Tech" in
OSM, so in this particular case it doesn't matter too much 🙂 )