[Talk-us] No updates on zoom level 12?

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Apr 4 19:47:28 UTC 2017

In my eight years in OSM I have seen zoom level 12 (and wider/lower) take from about one to four months to fully re-render in mapnik/Carto ("Standard").  At z=13 (and closer/higher), rendering can be in "as little as" seconds (usually minutes) to hours.  As I don't think OSM's "schedule of exactly when a given tile is rendered or promises to" can always be explained predictably, I offer you my longer-term experiences to help you reasonably set your rendering expectations.

Of course, while it is rewarding to see your changes "blossom" on "the map" (our renderings), the best way to be satisfied with your edits is to think of them as "being entered in the map," rather than being fully rendered:  that is how data we enter become most valuable, by being entered.  Data do render, eventually.

SteveA
California