[Talk-us] Osmar and Ways

Erik MARONEY, IEA Erik.MARONEY at iea.org
Wed Apr 5 12:35:25 UTC 2017

To whom it may concern,

My name is Erik Maroney and I work for the International Energy Agency (IEA).  We are interested in using Open Street Map (OSM) for our road infrastructure projections.  We have had a couple of issues so far that we are confused about.

1)       Using R, we set the source to API and downloaded osm.  It seems as if some of the roads mapped on the OSM website aren't being caught by osmar (the R package), which interfaces with osmosis (the command line tool). Could this perhaps be an issue with the bounding box, or is there some other reason why not all the roads are being captured? Any assistance with this issue would be very helpful!

2)      Using the Geofabrik database, it seems all the highways are not fully captured, is this just due to missing data?  Because when we go to the OSM website, we see plenty of other roads.  This is also true when we use the bounding box API method.

Ultimately, the mismatch between the roads (especially highways and non-urban roads) mapped directly on OSM versus those we are able to download with R is our point of concern. Specifically we would like to come up with an automated way to capture all roads that service motorized vehicles within certain countries.

Best,
Erik Maroney