[Talk-us] People For Bikes Connectivity Tool

Spencer Gardner spencergardner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 20:01:06 UTC 2017

Hi all. I wanted to notify the community about an upcoming website that
makes heavy use of OSM for rating the quality of the bicycle network in
communities around the USA. The website is being developed by People for
Bikes as part of their Places for Bikes
<http://www.peopleforbikes.org/placesforbikes/pages/about-placesforbikes>
and Big Jump
<http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/here-are-the-10-leading-cites-poised-for-a-big-jump-in-biking>
programs.

Here's a blog post about the tool:
http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/who-does-your-bike-network-serve-get-free-answers-from-a-new-tool

The tool uses OSM for routing and uses information such as speed limits,
number of vehicle lanes, the presence and type of bicycle facilities, and
the types of treatments at intersections/crossings for determining whether
a particular way is acceptable for bicycling or not. In places where data
is limited, assumptions are made based largely on the road classification.

People for Bikes has been encouraging cities to make sure their bike
networks are up-to-date in OSM so you may see some activity in your
respective cities. We have produced some training materials to introduce
users to tagging bicycle facilities in OSM (and referring them to LearnOSM
for more general training).

I'd invite anyone interested in bicycling to work on OSM bicycle tagging
within their own community in the coming weeks. We will be beta testing
scores in some cities at the end of this month. A final run of scoring will
occur at the end of May.

I've been heavily involved in the development of the tool and am happy to
answer any OSM-related questions.

Regards,
Spencer Gardner