[Talk-us] Talk-us Digest, Vol 113, Issue 10

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 22:26:59 UTC 2017

On Apr 6, 2017 12:25 PM, "Mark Bradley" <ethnicfoodisgreat at gmail.com> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2017 15:56:02 -0700
> From: Charlotte Wolter <techlady at techlady.com>
> To: Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com>,Talk-US at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Response from TIGER about "driveways

Somewhat in a similar vein, as a native American English speaker, I have
wondered if it would be desirable for the editors to contain a feature that
would pop up a suggestion or warning, while tagging with an American
English word or phrase, which would specify the British English
equivalent.  Or maybe there's a wiki page that lists some common
equivalents?  Even more basic, is it stated anywhere in the wiki that
British English terms are to be used?  I know that's the policy, but I

All that I have seen are notes and warnings in various pages such as kerb.
I think JOSM covers this issue with preset warnings, "tag is not in
presets."

*Note:* As a policy OSM uses British English
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_English> terms for most tags in
preference to North American English
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_English>. In this case kerb
rather than curb.